Tuesday 12 February 2013

Digital Footprint

Google!
When I googled myself, there were a variety of websites that came up with my name.  However, I put in my maiden name (Brooke Collins) and most of the sites were accurate.  When I put my married name, the only sites that came up were the current sites and social media sites that I am involved with:

Brooke Gelo:

  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • My manager position of the hotel in Pilot mound
Brooke Collins:
On this page I came up in Google mostly about my hockey career in the states.  But there were a lot of other websites that related to a DIFFERENT Brooke Collins.  So my new married name is not as "popular" as my maiden name.  I feel that is better and I can't be mistaken as a different person now online.

If my students attempt to "google me" in the future, the only information they will find are the networks in which I am affiliated with: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.  I have learned throughout the past two years that teachers should stay away from friending parents and teachers on Facebook or other social media sites.  If parents want to know more about me and find me online, I would personally give them my teacher website or class website and they can read my "about me" page.  However, I do not find a "need" for them to go onto my Facebook and look at past pictures or posts that I have been involved in.  Even though my Facebook is very secure, appropriate and professional, I would still not be "ok" with friending students and parents on my personal social media sites.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Brooke, great post! I agree with you on not friending parents and students on social media sites. It is best to keep it professional and stick to classroom and school sites.
    Also I never thought of it this way but when I (or whoever) gets marriend and changes names it will be like starting a new digital footprint!

    ReplyDelete