Tuesday 19 February 2013

Edublogger: Daniel Willingham


Daniel Willingham is a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia.  His research focuses on memory and learning of the brain and his approach deals with the K-16 age group. He is an associate editor of Mind, Brain and Education and has written two books: Why Don't Students Like School and When Can You Trust the Experts. Both of these pieces deal with education and the brains of adolescents.

Daniel is an avid blogger and I came across him when I was searching for an edublogger related to my course content area: Science.  His blog is called: Science and Education blog, but he writes about many different experiences he has had over the years during his profession and his research.

I find his video on: "Teaching, is it an art or a science?" very interesting.  He makes some very interesting points. Since I am a Science/Math teacher, I am a little bias, but he does make valid points for both sides.

He also has more "interesting" videos on his blog website which I found intriguing to read.  His claim about learning styles and how "they don't exist" is quite controversial, but an interesting listen!


I believe I will follow Daniel Willingham's blog for quite some time. He blogs mainly about education but also about his current profession and current events.  His blogs seem to be different day to day and that is what makes them interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment