Tuesday 5 February 2013

Love of Learning = Life of Learning



George Couros brought up a very key point during his presentation to our Internet for Educators class:
"How can we use technology to enhance and further our relationships, learning and education?"
We are everyday learning about ourselves as people, and the use of technology helps us learn about others and connecting with others.


Problem Solving
We not only need to focus on problems solving but "problem finders." Kids benefit by looking for problems within their school or community and use inquiry to find the answers or how to solve these problems.  The first step is to determine a problem, and then use experience and skill to solve the problem.

Love of Learning, Life of Learning
Teaching kids to be good at school rather than good at life.  You want to teach kids real life skills and go beyond their abilities.  You want students to have the love of learning so that they continue to a "life of learning."  As teachers we are judged and measured on students achievement and success AFTER they leave and not DURING the time they are with us.  It is important to establish relationships with these students and by giving them adequate and exciting instruction, this will allow them to love learning and be excited to learn.

Sharing about Personal Growth and Learning
I find myself asking the question a lot, "How can I use this blog after I am done with this class?"  George brought up a good point about how its not just about sharing, pedagogy and expressing opinions, but it could be about sharing with parents, colleagues and students of what you are learning.  It can be about reflecting my own personal learning after watching something insightful and beneficial or attending a rewarding PD in which I was able to take a lot of the information home to use.  It's about letting the people who trust you with their children know that you are always going to be a learner and continue to learn within professional development.

2 comments:

  1. I've decided to keep my blog going after the #I4Ed class as well. You are right, we can use it to connect with our students' parents and to reflect on what we are learning about teaching. I hope that I will always make time to blog, now that I have taken the plunge into the blogger world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your last point as well Brooke! I have been wondering too about what I will blog about when I am done with this course. I think it would be great to blog about PD's; share what you have learned! Even just use it as a space to talk about the resources you find, or use it to share what you are doing in class. I have also been thinking about what he said regarding creating an online portfolio. It sounds as though it would be very beneficial, and helpful in getting a job. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete