Tuesday 26 February 2013

Web-based Courses



I am not a "newbie" to online courses. I have had access to Blackboard for the past year and it has been a great resource for me.  I have used blackboard with my students in finding different assignments and questions to use and also to help with content notes.

I have also used blackboard as a back-up in my classes if I was going to be away.  If I had to be away for the day, I would send my students to the computer room to work on a lesson on blackboard.  Therefore they wouldn't get behind in the work and I know blackboard is an adequate and outcome based system and I am reassured  I day would not have been "lost."

I love that Manitoba Education has given ALL teachers (even pre-service teachers) the opportunity to use this great resource.  We know that it is a "good system" as well since it was created by Manitoba Education and that the material will be outcome based.

My only concern is that this system is indirectly going to cut jobs for teachers.  Since these courses will be web-based, the students can be from all over one division and only be taught by one teacher in one school.  Whereas before, there would be a teacher in each school teaching these students the course.  I understand that it is not the "intent" of Manitoba Education to diminish jobs of teachers, but it seems that indirectly, this is what will happen.

3 comments:

  1. I certainly see your concern, and it could be used in this way, particularly if a short sighted division allowed class sizes to become really large. On the other hand, if enrollment in, let's say a Physics class, is only 3-4 students, many schools could not afford to have that class offered at all (this scenario actually occurred in my school). Thus those students are severely limited, if they need this course. Without the WB option, then a paper based distance ed course is about their only choice (and that is not a very good choice for most people). If another school down the road has another 3-4 students wanting this, and a third had a few more, then a WBC makes it feasible to assign a teacher to deliver this course to all these students. I guess it all depends on how the use of this option is approached. It is a concern that teachers will have to be aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great resource for everyone to have. I have not done any work with Blackboard myself, but look forward to trying it out in the future.
    I do agree too that the number of teachers needed could take a hit. I think the school (and the division) have to keep in mind that face to face instruction is more valuable than instruction through a WBC as the resource of knowledge (the teacher) is right there and can be found at their own school anytime during the school day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely see both sides, Brooke. I agree that it might inevitably cut some jobs for teachers, but I think Mike was right in pointing out the job it could create, on the other hand. However growing up in a small town with limited options for classes, I definitely see more benefits in Web-based courses than negatives!

    ReplyDelete