Wednesday 20 February 2013

Video in the Classroom

Videos and multimedia clips are an excellent way to engage students in content area courses.  Videos can be used before, prior or after lessons to clarify or bring up new concepts and ideas.  Videos also help the visual and auditory learners and can be used in all courses.  I find using videos is a great tool within the science curriculum.  For example, performing virtual labs online and also showing students how to perform certain lab techniques from experts from online youtube videos.

Here are a few videos that I found useful to use in a Grade 11 Chemistry.  Labs become quite complex in Grade 11 and 12 Chemistry and it is best that proper techniques are taken into account while performing theses labs.  So not only should the teacher demonstrate the lab and the proper techniques but it is a good idea and resource to watch clips of the lab.

The second video is about safety within the lab which is a VERY important factor before entering the lab.  Students not only need to know all of the rules and regulations of the lab, but know hazards and risks in performing each experiment.

Videos help reiterate key concepts to lessons and are a great tool and resource for teachers to use within the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about the importance of video in the classroom, especially when thinking back to my own experiences in high school! Science was never a subject that interested me, and taking it today with all the extra resources- such as videos- would have made my life a whole lot better! Not that videos and other resources weren't around when I was in high school, but teachers today use these resources more than ever before to assist in learning. Students today should consider themselves very lucky with all the resources available. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of hesitant when it comes to virtual labs. I like the idea of hands on experience in science; however, I had not thought of using video to preview what students would be doing in the lab. I'd save resources by not having to demonstrate and students wouldn't just be imitating me, but discovering if the video was accurate or not. A great idea!

    ReplyDelete