Thursday 21 February 2013

Show and Tell: Poll Everywhere

One of my favourite web-based apps that I like to use in many of my classes is called "Poll Everywhere." It is a simple poll application that can be used at any time within a class and transferred to data.  It is a good activation strategy and a way to engage the students and make them feel "cool" by having them use their smart phones.



I have used this application in my Chemistry class, Biology class, Math class and have even used it when asking the students their opinion on a extra curricular event or any discussion idea that I would like their opinion.  In the past, I have polled students on:


  1. How they get to school?  walk, drive, bike, etc.  Then with this data, we would make graphs which covers a Grade 10 Essential Math outcome
  2. What would you like to do for an activity for "Activity Day"? Ski/snowboard, bowl, toboggan, etc.  Then we used this information to decide what were the top two activities we would give the students to choose from for Activity Day.
This application is easy to use, however, participants need a smartphone or access to a computer with the internet in order to take part in the poll.  Steps:
  1. Go to the website: www.polleverywhere.com
  2. CLICK the "Create your first poll" green button
  3. Type in the question you want to poll
  4. Hit "Create"
  5. Click "open ended" or "multiple choice" depending on how you want the participants to respond
    1. If you click multiple choice you will then need to add choices you wish the participants to choose from
    2. If you choose "open ended" your audience will respond with anything 
  6. Then a number will come up for the students to choose between your choices, or how the participants will answer.
  7. A graph will soon appear, after students have answered the question.

It is a great visual and easy tool to use within the classroom for receiving quick results and also engaging the students to use their smart phones or other devices within the classroom.  

4 comments:

  1. Great tool Brooke! This is also one of my favourite web based apps that students can use their cell phones for. AND you are right students LOVE to get to use their devices in the classroom! BYOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Brooke! I love finding ways for students to use their phones in class (dictionaries, search engines, etc.) I know most students might as well have their phones glued to their hands - might as well find ways for them to use their devices efficiently. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, this is really neat! I know that when I was in high school, I would love an excuse to use my cell phone, even for educational purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for passing this app along to us Brooke. It seems as though there are numerous ways to use it in the classroom. I know I will definitely look for opportunities to use it in my classroom. Maybe I will take a poll on who is the best teacher! hahaha (a little bribing will likely help my ranking)

    ReplyDelete