Thursday 7 February 2013

Twitter!!

First Thoughts About Twitter: 
When I first heard about Twitter, I figured it was just another "Facebook" application that someone developed because of how popular Facebook was at the time.  I assumed somebody wanted to get rich, (since Mark Zuckerberg became an instant millionaire) and developed Twitter as a replica of Facebook.

I was still bias even when I learned more about Twitter.  I was told that it was an application that was basically about "status updates" and that was it! I heard talk about people first posting about "I just went to the bathroom" or "Yay, my telephone bill finally came in the mail." Some people were simply updating their "twitter" about pointless things they were doing in daily life.  Therefore I had not interest in wanting a Twitter account and was dead set AGAINST tweeting ever!

However, when I entered the ICT course I was challenged to create a Twitter account. I followed through with this task and started following some interesting people.  People who were NOT tweeting about going to the bathroom or other pointless information that NOBODY cared about. I started following a few interesting people who tweeted on a regular basis.  However, mostly (actually all) of the people I followed were celebrities whom I followed because I liked seeing their different pictures they posted.  I was active on Twitter during this class, but I seemed to lose interest after the class was over and forgot about the people I was following.

New Thoughts of Twitter:
However, my last year of education within my Internet for Educators class we were supposed to be active in Twitter again, so I began to TWEET and follow some new and interesting people.  I also had a smart phone at this time so I was able to access Twitter wherever I had coverage and realized I could learn from the people I found on Twitter.  I came to the realization that Twitter isn't just about posting "what a person is doing," but someone sharing important information and resources.

The first step was to understand how to tweet (professionally).  I then followed a few of my classmates and see how they tweeted and what important things they had to say.  By viewing different tweets from my classmates, I was able to get the general idea of "how to tweet."

I then began following people who had significant importance within education and realized there are a whole network of people out there whom I can learn from.  At the tips of my fingers, I could have this information from TWITTER.  I thought this was pretty cool and I think I will always use my Twitter account from now on. To keep track of my classmates from Internet for Educators after this year is over, but also to learn from many other people out there who Tweet great ideas and resources.

2 comments:

  1. Our Internet for Educators class may end, but we will always be able to use #I4Ed to connect with each other where ever we end up teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about twitter... another thing to check, dumb status updates about what people had for lunch... But I now belong to the reformed outlook" group! I have found many interesting connections and resources using twitter for just a month or so. This is a tool I will continue to use for all of my teaching career!

    ReplyDelete